Saturday, August 8, 2009

Do I Support Temporary Separation while the Marriage Counseling is in Process?

‘Short Separation’ as a Marriage Counseling Tactic

“Can a marital separation save a marriage?” Usually my opinion is: it depends…

Whether the separation will help or hurt the marriage is unknown, unless you know the couple, have listened to them and assessed their mental state. Needless to say, a professional marriage counselor should feed-back his or her gained impression to the couple. Since the outcome could go either way, depending on what each of them really wants, this tactic should be an important topic during the marriage counseling sessions.

As a Psychologist who practices as a Marriage Counselor as well as a Life Coach and professional Relationship Advice provider I may quickly support a separation, for example when one spouse is living in an intolerable situation in the marriage. Perhaps one partner is verbally abusive, chronically has affairs, or shows continued disrespect towards his or her spouse in some other way. A number of couples are miserable living together and can’t seem to co-exist without continuous arguing. Living apart can help each partner to better use their emotional strengths and problem solving skills. In situations like this, a separation can sometimes save the marriage.

But fortunately enough, these are not the majority of cases I have encountered; which result in more complexities for me, as the professional counselor. The main issue is the motivation and the attitude of each partner: does each spouse want the marriage to work? Is there a strong willingness to seek marriage counseling and work on the problems and issues while they are separated? Does the couple in this situation plan to use this separation period to “let the dust settle,” and reflect on the marriage but taking responsibility for their part, and work with me on their individual and joint issues?

Sometimes the serious problems that the couple present and share are only a cover-up for more deeper and underlying issues: unfulfilled desires and a lack of trust for a better future. When there is a hidden desire to split apart, or try living under an alternative roof and relationship, a split could be a one-way ticket from renewing the marriage. There is therefore a need to use this simple ‘test detector’ apparatus: Do both spouses agree not to date anyone else? Do both commit to improve their marriage only?

A separation can be a time of healing, gaining strength and adding social resources to build new ties. Conversely living apart will allow each to pursue alternative relationships in which distance detachment and distance prevails while this period of ‘trial for a better luck’ continues.

Does it mean that a ‘free zone’ arrangement is the beginning of the end of the relationship? NO.

Human behavior is often as you see on the dance floor: two steps forward, one back, and then turn. It could be that one spouse or even both want to use the separation to build new relationships. Once they are on their own, they grow emotionally stronger, more independent but at the same time more in touch with their weaknesses. Each can now have a clearer perspective about their past negative contributions. Reconciliation in such cases is quick, meaningful and usually long lasting.

To summarize my Marriage Counseling approach regarding temporary separation: once you use a temporary split as a tool to heal your marriage:
1. Set a tentative time period for the separation; three, six, nine or twelve months, but no longer.
2. At three month intervals, set a time to meet and re-evaluate the decision to separate.
3. Agree to seek individual and joint counseling during the separation.
4. Set clear guidelines about how much contact you’ll have with each other during the separation; the less the better.

.........................
Dr. Joseph Abraham, Director, Center for Human Growth and Business Insights, Mechanicsburg, PA. Tel 717-943.0959 Online Psychologist and Life Coach: Marriage Counseling, Relationship Advice and Management Consulting. Online Counseling and Small Business Advice

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That's interesting that sometimes a temporary separation could actually help a marriage along with counseling. Sometimes absence will make the heart grow fonder and sometimes you just need time apart to reevaluate who you are as an individual. I'm one of those people that thinks that therapy can really help anybody and that if you're willing to listen and make changes, things can be better. That doesn't work for all marriages, obviously, but in general that's the motto I'm sticking to. http://www.healinginchrist.com

Melissa said...

I am more than happy today after staying over 6 months without my husband. I was of the thought that it was going to be a boring Xmas celebration spending it without my husband who just suddenly left me for no reason and was having an affair with my best friend ,not too long i saw a post of this great temple and the power of restoration by Dr Zadson and i contacted him via eduduzadsontemple@yahoo.com and in a space of 3 days my husband came back and this is going to be the best Christmas celebration ever am so glad. If you need such miraculous change contact this good doctor via eduduzadsontemple@yahoo.com

samurai said...

"om "
if is not from husband then it is from the wife. marriage is another life battle that couples have to fight together as one so as to bring forth a mutual relationship and build a strong family. at times, it is not easy to maintain marriage with physical hands that why we suggest spiritual" and it's has been helping and saving marriages... do you need a counselor in your marriage?? or, do you need help for love problem?? contact jai mata sunlight to solve it for you via sunlightmata@gmail.com it is your chance to testify for a great miracle
bless...

Anonymous said...

Everybody knows that “relationships require a lot of hard work”. Let’s be honest: that’s one of the most overused sayings in regards to relationship advice. Couples Counselling

indranitherapy said...

Nice blog.
Thanks for giving the informative content by your blog which is so interesting. Well done Keep it up.
Relationship therapy and couple counsellor in india

Unknown said...

Your Post is very useful, I am truly happy to post my note on this blog . It helped me with ocean of awareness so I really consider you will do much better in the future.
marriage counseling milwaukee wi

Life Balance Therapy said...

If you asked me then separation depends upon your partner. But somehow yes it is useful. Like I said it depends upon your partner. If your partner is an alcoholic, drug addict and have an affair with someone else then there is no need for separation but if there is some misunderstanding between couples or miscommunication then separation helps a lot. Also, couples therapy marriage counseling is a good option to resolve your issue.

Anonymous said...


This is Angela Sean from USA, am sharing this article to give thanks to Dr.Mack, who helped me to bring back my EX lover that broke up with me for 2 months. I was searching for advise on what to do to get back my EX lover and i came across a post of a woman in USA called Angela Sean giving thanks to Dr.Mack, for helping her to get back her lost HUSBAND who left her for years with her kids. I contacted the spell caster for help due to the fact that i needed my EX lover desperately because he is my lover and my life. To God be the glory, my EX lover came back to me within 12 to 16 after Dr.Mack, finished preparing the spell and i want the world to join me to give thanks to Dr.Mack, for helping me. Viewers reading my article that also need his help should contact Dr.Mack, with his email : dr.mack201@gmail.com...he do cure nerve problem.....

Kimberly nicholas said...


How do i win my ex back from another woman,My name is Kimberly Nicholas from Sydney,. I never believed in love spells or magic until i met this spell caster once when i went to Africa in February this year on a business summit. I meant a man who’s name is (Great Matatan powerful Spell ), he is really powerful and could help cast spells to bring back one’s gone, lost, misbehaving lover and magic money spell or spell for a good job or luck spell .I’m now happy & a living testimony cos the man i had wanted to marry left me 3 weeks before our wedding and my life was upside down cos our relationship has been on for 4 years. I really loved him, but his mother was against us and he had no good paying job. So when i met this spell caster, i told him what happened and explained the situation of things to him. At first i was undecided, skeptical and doubtful, but i just gave it a try. And in 7 days when i returned to Sydney, my boyfriend (now husband) called me by himself and came to me apologizing that everything had been settled with his mom and family and he got a new job interview so we should get married. I didn’t believe it cos the spell caster only asked for my name and my boyfriends name and all i wanted him to do. Well we are happily married now and we are expecting our little kid, and my husband also got the new job and our lives became much better. His email is:(  matatanspell@yahoo.com .  )  

Marriage Counsellor in Delhi said...

Temporary Separation can go both ways , it can help as well as hurt marriage counselling process

samsoncole12 said...

this is very good and informative blog for us.please keep it up. please visit MARRIAGE COUNSELLING IN SCOTTSDALE.